11.6.08

I think the biggest oversight in parenting nowadays is the lack of boundaries children are given. I know I'm not a parent, yet. But I've had plenty of experience in working with and babysitting children. I love kids. Maybe a little too much. They're cute and easily amused. Life is fairly simple for them. They are astounded by most things that we, adults, tend to take forgranted. But as precious as these little darlings are, they are not so cute when they are disobedient and have no respect for authority. It's disheartening, sad and very annoying when I babysit kids who could care less that I'm the adult. It's especially irritating when they throw tantrums and hit you and say things like "you're the most meanest person EVERRR!!!" when you tell them that they can't play soccer in the house, or ask them to share their popcorn with their younger siblings. I mean...come on, really? My least favorite response is: "You're not the boss of me." I pray for the children who continue to carry that attitude into their adult life.

Allowing kids to do whatever they want and let them have the run of the house, is detrimental to what was originally intended for the adult-child relationship. Some parents actually think tthat it's better for their children to grow up in a home with "the least amount of rules as possible." We are born as naturally selfish beings and without rules and boundaries to shape us in our most formative years, and without these rules to curb, tame or at least give us some indicators of how to properly act as civil individuals, then we become selfish, ill-adjusted, rude adults. Most of us can think of people like that. And yeah, we don't like them. No one likes them. And it's a vicious cycle: most of the time these adults become horrible parents (if some decide to become parents at all, which is better I suppose, than the alternative) and raise children, who become mean, disrespectful adults.

Granted, I've probably made a lot of blanket overgeneralizations. Inspite of that, I think I've said some truth. I am not a perfect person. And I am also an inherently rebellious person. Though, I rebellious by nature, I know to not act on those impulses because of how my parents raised me. I had a lot of rules and boundaries (maybe a little too many rules) growing up as a child. Most times I didn't like and I didn't understand all their rules. But looking back on it now, I am grateful. I believe I am a well-adjusted individual and I have a healthy respect for those who are in authority over me because of my that aspect of my childhood. How I was raised has also predisposed me to have a healthy respect for the Father. I don't see God as an overbearing god who makes our lives miserable with all his rules and commandments. I see those commandments and rules as necessary good. Following God's commands glorifies Him and shows Him that we love Him, but those rules also keep us out of trouble.

I think the stigma of "rules" is something that our culture has created. That is unfortunate. It's one of those lies that this culture has chosen over what is true and good. Rules and boundaries are not a bad thing. If anything, when followed, they keep us from getting into trouble...


No comments: