6.4.08

Life lesson #10 billion (and counting)

Jesus has commanded us not to worry:

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food and the body more than clothes...Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?"
[Luke 12:22,25-26]

Lately, it's been making more sense to me as to why Jesus told us not to worry. Anxiety, if left unattended, sucks out all the joy in your life, leaving only remnances of bitterness and negativity. (I can attest to that because I have let anxiety get the best of me before.) A bitter and negative person cannot bear "good fruit" and will have a hard time living for the Kingdom. A bitter and a negative person is a lifeless shell, a cavity of their former self.

In addition to that, how much a person worries is also a clear indication of their ability to trust in the LORD. I think it's almost sadistic as to how easily I can turn my eyes away from God and try to take situations into my own hands. How can i be so foolish? God has proven Himself so faithful in my life. How could I ever doubt him? I think that is what Jesus is trying to say in that passage. It makes no sense to worry when a Sovereign God who is in control of everything and knows everything, who WAS and IS and IS TO COME, sits on His heavenly throne. He watches over the universe as a benevolent ruler, working everything in human history, for our good and His eternal glory. His goodness, His compassionate mercy and grace is everlasting. His knowledge is unattainable, too lofty for anyone to imagine. He is terrifyingly awesome in power and might. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. He is the God who saved His people from Egypt, destroyed pagan nations, redeemed His people time and time again and gave humanity an everlasting hope in Jesus Christ, the Savior, who set us free from the bondages of the Law and sin.

This is the God that I worship, the God that I serve. And because of what He's done for humanity, I need to serve Him with a joyful heart--not a heart diseased with worry and anxiety.

I need to keep reminding myself of what I know is true, in order for me to able to fight for joy, and let go of control. Let go of anxious thoughts. Let go of my propensity to worry.

"Rejoice in the LORD always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The LORD is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petitition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

[Philippians 4:4-8]

No comments: