8.2.10

The beginning of the end?

It's so hard to cut the cord...

I've been so intertwined with the interWEB since my early teenage years that now, when faced with the challenge to dismantle my blog, my facebook and anything else that might connect me to the internet, it's so hard to just leave and turn my back on all of this.

Whoa. Cue dramatic music, right? But am I really the only person who's wanted to disappear off the radar for an unset amount of time? Aside from my email, do I really need all this extra-curricular stuff to fill my time with?

I've already begun my weaning "phase." I deactivated my facebook a couple of days ago. It's weird. I mean, this isn't the first time I've done it (the last time alluding to an unfortunate breakup with an ex-boyfriend). This time, I've really felt like it made sense. For the last few months, facebook has lost its taste in my mouth. I've become disinterested in it and have only checked my facebook out of habit. That's what scared me, I suppose and made me finally walk away (let's hope this walking away lasts longer than 6 months this time...) And yes, it is a social network. It is a good way to keep in touch with people. But lately, I've been exhausted and overwhelmed by the amount of people I try to hang on to and keep in touch with. Frankly, I get attached to way too many people. I'd like to think that if God were to ever cross our paths again, we can greet each other with a hug and still think fondly of one another...even if we don't write on each other's facebook walls every week. I don't mean to offend anyone. It's just the truth (and really, how many of my 687 friends were really my friends? and how many of them did I just stalk anyway?)

I think this "virtual" makeover kick is somehow associated with the driving force to move on with my life. I've realized that there are many things that hold me back and I don't want them to anymore. There's also something appealing about disappearing and becoming less accessible to whoever, whenever; because if people really did want to know and care about my life, they would really take the time to ask me. It's something that I want to be intentional about, too.

But it is hard to just break away from the internet. As you can see, my blog is still up and running.

No comments: