26.7.08

Every movie should be like this one.

This is my new favorite movie. I watched it a few nights ago at the dollar theatre (or should I say the "Two Dollar Theatre" since they've upped the prices again). When I first heard of this movie, not having seen the previews, I had no interest in watching it. I mean, I'm not a fan of Rambo--sorry Sylvester. But then a friend clarified for me that the title wasn't "the son of Rambo" but the "Son of Rambow." I assure you that the title is a bit misleading to what a gem this movie truly is. It is heartfelt as it is hilarious. The script is clever and witty, the cinematography is beautiful.

It's an endearing story about two young boys: Will Proudfoot, a sheltered child from a religious family and a misguided delinquent named Lee Carter, who is known by his teachers as "Demon Child Carter." Though Carter tricks or rather forcefully coerces Will to become the stuntman of his very own action adventure movie, inspired by the Rambo movies of the early 80's, Will sees himself as the son of Rambow and imagines a fantasy world where he saves his father, Rambow, from the clutches of the evil scarecrow warlord--But not without the help of Colonel (played by Carter) and the flying dog (played by a dog statue tied to a stunt-flyer kite). Throughout the movie making process, Carter and Will find that being fans of Rambo are not the only things that they have in common. Though their circumstances are very different, they find true friendship in each other. But this isn't the typical boy meets boy and they're friends for life story. Thrown into the plot is a mix of legalism and righteous indignation from the Brethren, the religion that the Proudfoots belong to and an androgenous French exchange student, who is an outcast from his own kind, but gathers a large following at the English school that Will and Carter attend.

In short, I highly recommend this movie. If my very brief synopsis didn't whet your appetite, you should probably watch the trailer:

Son of Rambow Trailer

No comments: